Saturday, February 28, 2009

In the Beginning. . .

. . .there was a very tired bunny who arrived at JFK at 7am est. The bunny's name is Leah and she is moving from San Francisco, CA to NYC to see if she can make it in theatre.

The flight was uneventful, and the first day was pretty chill. Slept and then just sorta hung around my friend's apartment in queens.

2nd day I got up all raring to go. I planned to go to the gym, find the trader joe's, target and old navy. I figured I'd start my exploring with some of the safer more familiar things in life. I found the gym and Target, which was great, but never got to Trader Joe's and couldn't find the old navy! But I did take an impromptu trip to midtown to meet up with Rien (my wonderful friend/roomie and boss) and check out a small section of the garment district. It was awesome. It made my hands itch to have a project. I might have to go down there next week and get some fabric for a dress I happen to have a pattern for.

After my friend had a difficult time recommending a place to eat, I felt that I needed to take charge and I spent the evening on Yelp.com looking for cool places to check out.
Some that I am most excited about are Pommes Frites in the East Village, Guss Pickles in the lower east side, and Soy. I also found this great cabaret I want to check out, and tickets are only $25. It's called Le Scandal...I wonder if they need a costumer?


New York Observations:

1. New York is much dirtier than they show it in any movies, except the seediest ones. I am sure there are pretty parts, but I think maybe the majority are pretty gritty. Even so, I like it. It's not beautiful like SF, but there is so much you can do and the subway is the awesome-est.

2. Every movie about New York is entirely too white. This city, atleast the parts that I have seen, are a majority non-white, where as most movies show it as being 85% or more caucasian. It's kind of awesome how diverse it is, so it's sad that it's not represented that way.

3. There are a lot of smells in NY. Even just in our apartment building. This is not always pleasant, as you don't always know what it is you're breathing in.

That is all for now. Hopefully more excitement to come.

1 comment: